Thursday, March 21, 2013

How To: Get Out of Cleaning the Dishes

Life here in Dallas has been pretty good lately. We continue to explore new areas, I am learning my way around (needing my GPS less and less), and we have met some new people! I have had a bit of change of heart and am actually starting to enjoy our new city (mostly new to me). We have also had some visitors recently which has been fun!

As I mentioned before, I have really been working on my housewife skills. It has been a little more challenging now that I am working, but I think I put forth good effort. Throughout the week I usually cook and continue to try new recipes. I am not sure about your household, but in ours there is usually conversation about who has to do the dishes after dinner. Anyways, I thought I would share my 'how to' on getting out of cleaning the dishes. Stay with me here, the following information is important and goes with my tutorial.  This week Abe is in town for his spring break and Kyle has been wanting to make his Red Beans and Rice recipe. I decided to take a nap on Sunday instead of going to the grocery store, so I hit up Kroger after work on Monday. I got home quite a bit later than usual and had the task to finish up preparing dinner while Kyle went for a run and Abe went for a bike ride. Typically Kyle runs shorter distances during the week (4-5 miles a night). However, he skipped the day before so he was planning to put in some extra miles (aka be gone longer than usual). I had the task to chop some onions and add them to the other ingredients at a VERY specific time. I will speed up the story and get to the good stuff... fast forward, Kyle and Abe are gone now and I am multi-tasking (putting groceries away, watching the Biggest Loser finale, and chopping onions). As I am chopping away, I look away for a SPLIT SECOND to check the other ingredients... and SLICE! Pause....AHHHHHHHH! Let me add to the story that as Kyle and I were recently married we were very fortunate to receive a very nice set of knives. Me and these knives have a love/hate relationship. I love that they cut EVERYTHING so easily, but hate that sometimes everything means my fingers. Back to the story, the "slice" is no longer the onion, but my thumb!!!! Unlike several of my other knicks with the knife, this one is a bit more intense. I will leave out specific yucky details for those with sensitive stomachs. I work in the healthcare field so blood and such doesn't typically bother me. However, for some reason this one REALLY bothers me and I begin to feel a bit queezy. Panic mode sets in so I immediately text Kyle, only to hear his phone ding in the other room. Let me fast forward again, the good news is my finger is still attached, I sliced the chunk off so no stitches needed! At that point my finger felt terrible and continued to bleed for quite some time... BUT I didn't have to do the dishes that night! AND Abe helped put all the groceries away! Ok, so maybe I wouldn't necessarily recommend this 'How to', but for now... it is working for me! I have been dish free all week!



1 comment: